Sunday, June 25, 2006

DADA fever hits New York at the MOMA. Dada is anti art. Industrial art, pokes fun at the audience, cheeky, irreverant, anti establishment, anti war, surreal in parts and totally fantastico and way ahead of its time. Wee mumsy and I wrote a great DADA essay together when I was at Glasgow university so DADA is very special art movement for me, espeically as Wee Mumsy got an A. This weekend it was real Scottish summer weather- a total downpour. Enough to make me very homesick for the old country - Not. What was a princess to do - cancel her plans for Easthampton and catch up on the latest must see art shows in town of which DADA was number one on my list. The show just opened all the more reason for me to be the first to see it. In the summer all self respecting New Yorkers head to their summer homes by Friday afternoon, Hamptons, Jersey Shore, upstate, some of them even hoof it to Rhode Island, or if you are smart, drive a mere hour to a lake house in Connecticut but with rain forecast all weekend, the beach house is beyond depressing. Fast forward Click as Adam Sandler would say straight to MOMA.(movie was panned - avoid).

The show is divided between DADA in Zurich and DADA in New York. George Grosz , Berlin has some fantastico anti war pictures. The one Mr Bamboozle and I loved was the typical Grosz fat bourgeouis cat with a prostitute in room full of mirrors. Also see Francis Picabia paintings, Max Ernst picture inspired by Georgio De Chirico, the hanging Heartfield Soldier, Hannah Hoch dolls with real boobs and Madonna type bustier, Man Ray early works, especially his famous wooden coathanger hanging mobile - roll over Alexander Calder, and my favorite, GIFT which is an iron with nails sticking out of it. (If Mr Bamboozle ironed my new Prada top with it I would be very cross with him indeed. ) Marcel Duchamp urinal of course and who knew he had a not so famous sister, Sarah Duchamp. Go and see the show for yourself and impress your friends at the beach next weekend. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay. I had to add a link to this on my site under what to do on a blind date.

I also added you to my blogroll of favorites. I like your blog.
www.davidneubert.com

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah and where is the Essay you and Mumsy wrote?